As you might have seen in the local news, up until a few months ago the Helotes fire station was plagued with a pretty gross—and unhealthy—problem. Mold growth! Mold and mildew is a stubborn air quality issue that can be hard to get rid of without the right tools in place. And commercial buildings such as the fire station are certainly not the only type of buildings affected by this problem. Your home can fall victim as well.
And we aren’t just talking about mold in your bathroom or on your walls. We’re talking about mold inside the ductwork of your HVAC system. But before you go calling for AC repair in Helotes, TX, we have an important indoor air quality product to tell you about! UV germicidal lights—also known as an UV air purifier—will eliminate the growth of mold right at the start.
How Do They Work? Are They Safe?
Many people see the term “UV lights” and imagine they must be dangerous. After all, people and pets aren’t supposed to have too much exposure to UV radiation, right? Fortunately, the UV lighting used for this specific purpose is completely harmless to people and animals. In fact, you have probably even seen these lights before, at amusement parks and concerts. In these settings, they are referred to as “black lights,” and make your white clothes glow.
Although UV air purifiers are harmless to us, though, they are able to destroy the DNA of biological contaminants and the life-sustaining proteins that keep these cells alive. The cells are killed, and then the UV lights keep them from replicating. Therefore, mold, mildew, and other microorganisms are effectively eliminated from your HVAC system and your home altogether. And they’re able to accomplish all of this from the comfort and unseen location of your air ducts, positioned directly over your evaporator coil.
What Are the Benefits?
Still not convinced that UV lights are the right choice for your home? Keep reading for just a few of the benefits of investing in UV germicidal lights.
- You’ll improve the quality of your indoor air exponentially. It likely goes without saying that mold is unhealthy. It’s foul odor is unpleasant, sure, but what’s really harmful is the effect it can have on those with allergies and asthma. In fact, mold exposure can make even the healthiest person ill, particularly depending on how toxic of a mold it is.
- You will stop mold growth right at the source. UV germicidal lights work with an anti-microbial effect. This means that in addition to eliminating mold and mildew, it actually keeps those organisms from reproducing, completely eradicating the problem.
- You’ll have a peace of mind. When you have the right systems in place, you can rest easy knowing that you’re doing everything in your power to keep your home and your family healthy. Be sure to ask us about what other indoor air quality services and products may help your home stay even more comfortable.